“To advance the education of the children & young people of Nepal....in particular, through the building of Schools and other educational facilities & the provision of educational material, tutors, scholarships & other grants....and finally, the relief of young people who are in conditions of need, hardship or distress”
During September 2006, two of the CENUK trustees visited Nepal and were introduced to Mr Sagar Pandey, Chairman of Child Environment Nepal (CEN), Kathmandu. CEN is a registered Nepalese Charity (xxxxxx) and is a non-government, non-profit organisation (NGO). After many hours of discussions and visiting the children of CEN, the trustees asked how they could possibly help the children of CEN and in particular, support their education. A promise was made that during 2007, the trustees would return, accompanied by friends and colleagues to explore the needs of the children of Ashrang Village, Ghorka in addition to re-visiting the children of CEN.
Twelve interested volunteers travelled to Kathmandu on the 3rd May 2007 for a nine day visit. After experiencing the culture and religious diversity of Kathmandu and visiting the children of CEN, they embarked upon a long and arduous trip to the village of Ashrang, some two and a half hours off road from the nearby town of Ghorka, ancestral home of the British Army Ghurkas. The visit started with a welcome by over a thousand villagers and schoolchildren. The mission culminated in an undertaking by the team to try and establish a UK charity to provide direct help to CEN.
A further visit to Nepal was undertaken to reassure the school governors and villagers of Ashrang that the UK charity was being established and future help was planned. The small team also saw at first hand the progress made already by witnessing the complete renovation of one classroom and saw the local builders working hard making new classroom benches and tables. This was made possible by donations from raffles held prior to this visit.
During the visit in May 2007 and a subsequent visit on October 2007 a five year action plan was implemented.
The following tasks are planned:
• Refurbishment of the Secondary and Primary schools of Ashrang including the building of a 3rd storey and complete renovation of the ground floor classrooms.
• The supply of electricity
• Build a complete new toilet block
• Employ a total of 10 new teachers
• To ensure all children have the opportunity to attend school by funding all costs
• Explore the possibility of providing running water
• The manufacture of classroom equipment
• To build and equip a library and computer room
• To continue to provide educational sponsorship of the children of CEN
• To investigate the possibility of providing sponsorship to older school children including UK education
• To supply school equipment and stationery
• To attempt a successful visit by the children of CEN to Austria in 2009